Wednesday 23 September 2015

A Very Close Shave...

A competitive player asked if I could help him fine tune his strings setup.

Both his coach and himself claimed he was hitting well. They attributed the control issues he faced to the strings.

However, he liked his current 1.10mm thin poly strings. Better bite, more feel and more spin, he said. Well, common sense dictates - thicker string, more control right?

But instead, they wanted to increase the string tension on the 16x19 frame. By 10 pounds! To 72 lbs! I felt dizzy just listening to him mentioned THAT number!

As usual, my way of dealing with this pesky behaviour was to quote an insanely ridiculous price (link), hoping to turn him away diplomatically.

But he accepted! And paid upfront! Oh my goodness!!!

Before stringing, I put on a long sleeve shirt to protect my arms. While tensioning, I kept my face away from the racket as far as possible. But it was still not enough...

While pulling the outer mains, the string snapped! The flying clamps flew!

And the string that was under tension, whipped around and lashed me across my neck, chest and left hand. If NASA recorded some earthquake-like shock waves from Asia, it was my scream! 

OUCH...!!!

My first knuckle on my left hand and ring finger turned numb. 



It felt like my skin has split open. Took off my shirt to check, and saw my neck received a lashing as well.



Super lucky it missed my face!

Next time anyone wants high tension with thin strings, it would be US$2,000,000.00. Per racket! Upfront! In cash!




     

No comments:

Post a Comment