Saturday 19 October 2013

"Double Blind" String Fitting?

A parent of a National Schools "B" Division tennis player contacted me and asked if stringing can give the kid any edge.

Without hesitation, my answer was "No".

Before coming back to tennis, I played golf and tinkered with many different setups of golf clubs. I ventured so far off traditional setups that I could not find any clubmaker to do what I wanted! Eventually, I tweaked all my clubs myself.

Unfortunately, blaming tuning my equipment did little to improve my golf. It was my swing, and my thinking that needed change.

Likewise, it is foolish to believe your rackets, strings, overgrips or shoes would drastically affect your play! The impact is always less than what people usually thought!

Nevertheless, I was handed three seemingly identical rackets for stringing. Each racket was to emphasize only one of the variables like comfort, control, power, spin or a larger sweetspot. And only I would know which racket was optimized for which variable.

What followed next was quite apparent. That's why I called this a double-blind stringing since I didn't know whom I was stringing for and neither did the player know what had been done!

Frankly, I doubt if this experiment would yield any special results. But since the parent was willing to foot the ridiculous price I quoted, I was more than happy to string. (I wondered why me and not a commercial / professional stringer?)

The only positive outcome I could think of is if the kid only wanted to accentuate specific aspects like power, or spin, or better contact. Then, this could be meaningful and possibly lead to some really good results.

I'll post an update only if that parent or kid reverts. No pictures as they requested for complete confidentiality.

30Oct2013 update:
- I saw the boy play and he's really good. Probably a ntrp 4.0-4.5?
- When I was approaching the tennis court, I could already hear the thunderous "pop" of his ball contact! I thought he was practising serves or overhead smashes. But when I saw him, he was rallying from outside the baseline!
- The other thing that stood out was his very light and quick footwork. Just like the way Michael Chang darted around the court. Super fast.
- I'm told he's not a "feel" player and I can see his brashness, just attacking and bashing at every ball with full strength.
- And the whole purpose of that blind stringing? It's just to get that kid to learn to adjust his strength and depth control. Perhaps settle on a setup that can tone some of his power or add spin.






No comments:

Post a Comment