Wednesday 7 May 2014

Fishing Line + Syn Gut Hybrid in Black Ace 98

Two different brands of poly strings snapped while stringing. They could not handle the tensions I wanted. 

My original intention of creating another tri-brid (link) was shelved. It was a pity because I found the fishing/poly/multi tri-brid to play very well. Syn gut was used instead.


That explained why I strung the outer mains with syn gut first in the pics below. Otherwise, I would have just done it up as a straightforward two-piece hybrid.


This string was not made in Japan. It's 1.0mm thick and felt stiffer than the Japanese version. 


For some strange reasons, the flying clamps kept slipping and literally flew off the strings today. So I used two together with a starting clamp on the outside of the frame during alternate tension pulls.











Playtest:

- Actually, this setup played not too bad compared to the poly cross.
- I felt the sliding of the fishing mains was not significantly reduced. Just slightly.
- Comfort and power levels were better than with poly in the cross.
- With this different fishing line, softer impacts felt a little too quiet and dampened. My partner M felt it was a little "dead", but to me, it was not that bad.
- No harsh vibrations were felt at any point, even off-centre contacts.
- Harder hits felt soft, good and very controlled.
- The most surprising thing I discovered was that there was almost no notching even after about 90 minutes. I'm pinning some hopes for durability on this line.
- Take a look at the before (above pic) and after close-up view of the strings. The darker patches on the black syn gut were abraded by the fishing mains, evidence of free sliding and snap-back of the mains. The black round syn gut now looked like a shaped-poly!
- String movement was very minimal. No adjustments were made to the pic below after play.
- I would award this higher marks than the fishing/poly/multi (link) tri-brid.






09May2014 update:
- The string snapped in the bag overnight. Total playtime probably added up to 3 to 4 hours.

- I tried to re-do only the mains with yet another fishing line, but that line snapped while tensioning, whipped across my arm and left a cut. Got to wear long sleeves next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment