Monday 12 May 2014

Fishing + Poly + Multifilament

I could neither afford the time nor the money to keep restringing the fishing line after every 2-3 hours of play. Neither could I drop the idea after experiencing how well it played. 

So a compromise need to be reached... I decided to convert two normal grommets to tie-off holes to faciliate greater ease of restring.

The pics below explain some of the what's and how's...










Note that each string's tie-off was anchored onto itself and not on another string.

Lest you are still wondering, this same string tie-off would allow me to restring ONLY whichever string that breaks...


Playtest:
- For this session of tennis, I pushed this stringbed very hard, trying to see if I could muscle it enough to snap it in an hour. Despite the four consecutive sets I played, the string prevailed.
- With proper pre-stretch, tension holding was very nice and string movement was very minimal. (Crosses 9 and 10 were pulled apart by me to check for notching)
- Notching was slight. About 1/4 of the diameter of the fishing line. If this lasts 6-8 hours, I would be more than satisfied!
- Comfort, spin and control remains excellent!






12May2014 update:
- A flat serve snapped the mains. Total play time was only about 5 hours.
- Despite the notching, the mains did not move much. All aspects like spin, control, power and comfort remained intact from first hit. I could not detect any deterioration in performance.
- Compared to the other fishing lines with syn gut (link), spin was still slightly better with this. Several serves and groundstrokes which my partner thought were long curled down in the last minute.
- Another prominent difference was that this premium Japanese line felt so much more softer and comfortable. Ball feel was better than the rest too.







No comments:

Post a Comment