Thursday 31 January 2013

Max Comfort: Dunlop AG200 + Multi / Syn Gut @ 35/33 lbs

I like to try new things. The more unusual it is, the more interesting. Venturing down the unbeaten path can throw up some "Eureka!" moments!

I have to give credit to whom it is due since I first read about this low tension experiment from a forum. (link) To the folks there who got this going and the many who kept it going, thank you! I appreciate your sharing.

I was searching for a comfortable setup since I slightly injured my wrist and elbow. (link) And then I chanced upon that thread...

After a lot of deliberation, and fears of how uncontrollable that trampoline stringbed would behave, I went for it. At the most, I cut out the strings and lose some tennis balls. Right?




Playtest:
- THERE IS NO TRAMPOLINE!!!
- comfort is the best I have ever felt. Everywhere on the strings felt like the sweetspot! Nothing is harsh.
- power level is very good and hitting deep is so easy
- I did not tell my playing partner anything before letting him try the racket and he loved it immediately!!!
- we would give volleys full marks for this stringbed. I could even volley shots effortlessly and accurately from baseline to baseline!
- spin is ridiculously crazy! We can see the ball curling left or right in mid-air like a ping-pong ball! No kidding! Topspin is more than any kevlar or poly setups I've tried.
- the only downside is a slight loss of directional control
- there is also a lot of string movement which does not bother me
- after about 30min of play, there is a strange vibration. I think it could be the vibrational frequency of the strings being aligned with the racket as mentioned in the forum. But it does not affect me.
- I think this setup is likely to become permanent in one of my rackets! Maybe even lower tension?

Here's how much ball fur was ripped off the balls after play.



Here's the string movement after about an hour.



13Feb2013 update:
- the racket was untouched after one session of play on  31Jan
- out of curiousity how it would play lighter, I removed all lead tape, leather grip and dampener and brought weight down from 366g to 339g
- it played very well again today
- we could not feel any drop in tension, spin nor control, just maximum comfort all the way
- the string vibration totally disappeared
- my partner liked this racket and string combo so much he "bought" (yea right! more like robbed!!!) this racket off me on court!!!



Strings:
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.30mm mains @ 35 lbs
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25mm cross @ 33 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment