Monday 28 January 2013

Wilson PSC 6.1 + Full Poly @ 58 / 48-52-56-52-48 lbs

I remembered to take a picture this time when I cut the strings. (link) Just as I suspected, both the Big Ace and Multifilament have "gone dead".

If you observe the picture below carefully, there is only a very small gap between each cut string for both the big ace mains and multifilament crosses.



Since I did not have any good feedback with stringing Big Ace at low tensions, I decided to pull it tight this time. So it's 58lbs for the mains!



I really like the feeling of a softer tension for the top and bottom few cross strings. Just that few pounds lower in tension removes the harsh feel and yet maintains excellent control on the stringbed. Even the sweetspot is slightly bigger too. 

So I did the top 2 crosses at 48lbs, next 2 crosses at 52lbs, next 10 at 56lbs, next 2 at 52lbs and last 2 at 48lbs.

I am also marking a red line as I am stringing to monitor if the differed tensions would even out.



So here's the completed racket!



Playtest:
- while I cannot feel it, but my hitting partner commented there was a lot of extra spin
- power is ridiculously low, much less than kevlar strings! I had problems hitting from baseline to baseline with topspin!!!
- strangely, control was very poor. The ball rebound off the stringbed was unpredictable. It went anywhere else other than where we aimed!
- serves were impossible with the poor control, even on perfect sweetspot hits! The ball either hit the tape or went straight out! Only 1 or 2 out of 10 serves were good. When I switched racket, my serve accuracy recovered.
- the varied tension of the crosses helped soften off-centre hits slightly and I don't think it is the reason for the loss of control at all
- overall, the stringbed feels like a very aged and dead multifilament string, minus all the power
- not an enjoyable setup at all
- will probably go back to a hybrid of big ace with multifilament


Strings:
Pro Supex Big Ace Revo 1.25mm mains @ 58lbs
Pro Supex Big Ace Revo 1.25mm cross @ 48-52-56-52-48lbs






No comments:

Post a Comment