Monday 12 August 2013

A Word of Caution...

This blog is to document my tennis racket stringing and modification experiments

I do not detail every thought or process in this blog. Otherwise, I'll be better off authoring a book instead of a blog, isn't it?

The reason I'm writing this is because I am a little saddened by an email I received. It was not a flaming email but one that was very humbly worded, asking for some stringing advice. 

A zealous reader attempted to duplicate my PK BA98 (link) stringing. Unfortunately, his favourite racket collapsed when pulling tension on the crosses.

Whenever I attempt some unproven, fanciful stringing or modifications, I do them on my "test" rackets. Never on my preferred sticks.

The reader used a crank machine whereas I used a dropweight. Crank machines are known for over-tensioning. It is in the design. And the amount it over-tensions depends on your calibration and how fast/hard you crank it. Some online posts claim it over-tensions by as much as 12 lbs!



Now, if you add 12 to 80, that's 92 lbs! My Black Ace 98 was rated to take up to 68 lbs. I overshot by about 12 lbs. But 90+ lbs on any racket would be pushing it a little too far.

If you wish to replicate any of my experiments, please do so on an old test racket that is of little value to you. More importantly, exercise care and put safety above all else.





No comments:

Post a Comment