Tuesday 2 July 2013

ProKennex Black Ace 98 + Syn Gut @ 28 lbs

After some calculations, I decided to restring this racket at 28 lbs. From the last few sessions, pocketing was missing and I wanted more (link).

While cutting out the strings, I noticed the frame moved a lot. There was plenty of "crackling" sounds. 


When the mains were cut, the racket "popped" and lengthened, pulling the cut mains string wide apart.


The same "pop" was experienced when I snipped the crosses. 


Immediately, I understood what was that "missing element" I was searching for in my last post! The hoop of this frame is extremely flexible!


So soft, that the hoop flexes not only during ball contact, but even during stringing! And that's where all the cushioning and dampening came from!


I have never used a racket with such a soft hoop. Not even some of the old woodies I had, nor the RA54 Yonex RD-7. That's why I could not understand this stick.


The downside is, with so much flex in the hoop, the cushioning absorbs a lot of feel and power as well. Upon contact with the ball, the racket bends backwards much more than stiff frames. 


All the pieces are coming together. Now I understand why I always miss the line to the right whenever I try to aim down the line. It's because the racket flexed more than what I am used to!


To "counter" this flex, I want a softer stringbed. Think about it, if the stringbed deflects more upon ball contact, then the frame would bend less.


I am not "boxing" the stringbed this round. Since the hoop is so soft, I will keep it simple to avoid any possible distortions.






Width before and after stringing is 26.4cm and 26.1cm respectively. Hoop narrowed by 3mm.






Length of hoop remained constant at 34.7cm.







Playtest:

- After a little play, I adjusted the swingweight down to about 340 from 345. Since the sweetspot is just a tad above the middle, I wanted the lead tape lower to be aligned with the sweetspot to add more mass there. That would "stiffen" up the hoop slightly through added stability.
- At 28lbs, the racket plays better than the previous 35lbs. Control and spin are still there.
- There is absolutely no trace of trampoline at all. Just a little bit more pocketing than at 35lbs.
- The 18x20 configuration is amazingly stable even at such low tensions.
- Needless to say, comfort and dampening reigns supreme in this racket.
- Since this is only the first session after re-stringing, I will post a more detailed review after the second or third use with this stick. Let the strings break-in first.
- If you cannot imagine a soft hoop/frame flexing during ball impact, take a look at the video below of Federer's forehand shot at 1:16.


06Jul2013 update:
- Used the BA98 for some drills and rally today.
- The previous "wobbly" frame feeling has gone. With the added lead tapes, I cannot feel anymore of that weird impact I felt previously.
- Overall, I added about 15 SW points, bringing the racket's swingweight to 346. Now, ball impacts are stable and I can feel the racket "going through" the ball instead of the ball pushing the racket off-balance.
- With the added "punch", ball impacts sounds much nicer too. It is now a "pop" instead of a "thud". Another confirmation that plowthrough has improved.
- From the previous string wear pictures, I know I am hitting the sweetspot consistently enough so it cannot be due to off-centre hits that cause the unstable feeling at almost every shot last time.
- Spin is good despite the 18x20 pattern as the gaps are quite big.
- Comfort is very good. Nothing to worry about even for injury prone wrists or elbows at all.
- If I want to continue fine-tuning this frame, the next challenge would be control. Not that it is bad now, but I want a greater degree of confidence when aiming for corners or down the lines. With this, my success rate is probably 6/10 whereas my stiff PSC6.1 can easily score 8/10.





No comments:

Post a Comment