Wednesday 12 June 2013

Dunlop Mfil300 + Syn Gut @ 60 lbs (Full Proportional + Box)

Even after stringing a racket with the "Lendl pattern" (link), I was still wondering why Lendl strung it that way. What were his objectives? What problems were he trying to solve or avoid?

While the pattern can be copied, and even the same strings be used, the actual stringing steps and tensions are a little more mysterious. 


What tension was used in his mains? And crosses? Did he vary tension within the mains/crosses? How did he thread the racket? Was the natural gut pre-stretched?


All these makes a huge difference how it would play. Just like an email I received at how loose the ELT stringbed played. A blog reader attempted to copy my "varied crosses" using a crank machine. No wonder it played too soft and loose...


Going back to the Lendl pattern, I later realised that it was similar to a box stringing pattern, except that he "boxed" it with natural gut with a poly centre. That threw up a few interesting ideas for me.


I believe the box pattern is able to isolate and retain different tensions at different portions of the stringbed. Definitely much better than the standard one-piece or two-piece.


Although I am still firmly rooted in the ELT camp, some have asked me to try a full proportional stringing using a more conventional tension of 60 lbs. I thought this will be an interesting comparison with ELT. Perhaps even challenge ELT?

My objective with full proportional stringing is to:
1. try to enlarge the sweetspot, and/or,
2. increase dampening around the stringbed perimeter, and/or,
3. stabilise the rebound angle while maintaining comfort.

From my research online, the greatest danger seems to be frame warp or cracks due to uneven pressures. 

The strange part is that, these same people who issued these warnings have either never strung full proportional before or, have tried it before but have never experienced a frame crack.

Neither could I find a single article online about a frame crack due to full proportional stringing! Not a single one! Sounds fishy to me, don't you think? Or are they trying to hide something?

Whatever the case, I am taking measurements first... both length and width...




This racket has a 16x19 pattern. The centre 10 mains are strung first. Within these 10 strings, there is already a 10lb difference between the tightest and loosest.

I am starting the "box" with the 6th right main from top to bottom. If you observe the left floating clamp, you may deduce that I strung L1, L2, L3, L5 then L4. I tied-off the short side at Top5.



As seen below, the first box is completed.



The pic below shows the second and third box being done. Proportionately, these outer mains and crosses tension are pulled in the 20 to 30 lbs range.




Filling in the remaining crosses below at between 30+ to 50+ lbs. 




Once completed and dismounted, measurements are immediately taken to check if the amounts of warp are within acceptable range.




Length increased 1mm whereas width has narrowed by 5mm. It's just a tad outside of my usual warp range of about 3-4mm so I can still accept it. 

What this proves to me, is to drop the tension a little on the crosses if I were to do this again. I had doubted the numbers for the crosses so I did up them by a few pounds.

I'll measure the length and width again after I clock-in some play. 

Bouncing a ball on the floor and in the air feels very good indeed. The harsh spots previously felt disappeared. The sweetspot does feel significantly enlarged.

Playtest:
- Within the first few hits, the immediate observation is how accurate the strings were. Even though only the longest few centre main strings were pulled at 60lbs, but the directional accuracy is "straight as an arrow!"
- The part that is hard to reconcile is that, while it feels like a normally strung (ie high 50s to 60+ lbs) racket, the sweetspot is SO HUGE!!! 
- Both my partner and I just cannot find any dead spots! Everywhere was nice and comfortable without any harsh vibrations. I recall distinctly how small the sweetspot played with previous stringjobs. That's why this racket stayed in the cabinet, but now, all has changed!
- Power levels are in between a full ELT and full 60lbs. In other words, it's more powerful than pulling every string at 60lbs but less powerful than ELT.
- My playing partner liked this stringjob from the first hit and was thinking which racket to send over to get this full proportional stringing done.
- Overall, it's a very nice blend of the accuracy of high-tension and partial comfort of ELT. 
- I think this is a very good setup. If I go back to normal tensions, I will definitely prefer this method of stringing. In fact, normal tensions where every string is pulled the same poundage has relegated way way behind ELT and full proportional stringing.
- The only downside with this is that spin levels lose out to ELT but is much better than full 60lbs.
- Not much ball fur on the strings after play




- And I don't think the length and width moved much after play too. Maybe 0.5mm? So the stringbed seems stable to me.







Strings:
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25mm
(Full Proportional Stringing + Box)





No comments:

Post a Comment