Thursday 4 April 2013

Yonex RD7SP-UL2 + Poly/Syn Gut @ 35/33 lbs (Part 1)

Even though M likes the RD7 a lot, he still bought several different rackets hoping to score the perfect stick. After a few hundred dollars, and a little wiser, he returned to his "old faithful".



But he has grown to like the balance of the Yonex RDS003. So he asked if I could match the swingweight, balance and total weight of the RD7 to the RDS003s. I don't know if it can be done but I'll try...

Matching is usually the last few steps performed. After more than five months of use, the RD7 needs a re-string (link). So, my first mission is "Saving Private Ryan RD7 grommets".

An online search only threw up records of how frustrated other RD7 users are with no available new grommets. None on ebay too. The only option left is to use Fittex individual grommets to replace the worn-out ones. Or tubing.

Most of the worn grommets are from the bumperguard. I cut out the old and inserted the new straight into the frame.



From the below pic, you can see the third grommet from the bottom is badly worn. I've marked out those needing replacement with a strip of masking tape on the frame.



Almost done with old bumperguard completely removed.



It looks and sounds easy. But it isn't. Some of the grommet bits get stuck in the frame and it has to be dug out carefully. Let it slip in, and you'll get a rattle. 

The drilled holes are also of different sizes and alignment. Pushing in the Fittex takes quite a bit of force sometimes. And all the sharp edges from the used bumperguard gave me quite a few cuts.

I know how easily an awl breaks. So I reserved this task specially for cheaper and easily replaced tools.



Below shows some of the cut-out old grommets from the bumperguard.



I'm slow. It took me about 2 hours (...and a lot of colourful words in four different languages) just to get to this stage!

I normally charge M an arm and a leg for string jobs. For this grommets repair, re-string and racket matching, I'll probably have to take his car and his dog! 


I'm exhausted. The re-string will have to wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment