Sunday 24 March 2013

Pro Kennex Graphite Prophecy 2 + Syn Gut @ 30 lbs

ELT is addictive! Once I've tried it, I got hooked. The comfort is indescribable. The spin is seductive. Since 31st Jan, this is my eleventh consecutive racket that I'm stringing below 35 lbs! Simply amazing!

This Pro Kennex is an old racket. Weighing only about 310 grams strung, it's one of the lightest sticks I have. Stringbed is 16 by 20. As usual, I cannot find any information at all about this stick, so I'm going in "blind".




Someone mentioned on an online forum that with one piece stringing, about 35 ft of string would suffice for this 95 sq in frame. So I measured out the string to do this one piece.

Here's the mains...





I started the crosses after completing the second last main on the long side.




Somehow, while weaving the crosses, I got the feeling that there is not going to be enough string. It's just a gut feel from having done so many rackets.

When I got to the last few crosses, my fears were comfirmed! I had enough to fill the last cross but not enough to reach the string jaws to pull tension! And there's still one last main to fill!


Since this is my personal racket, I decided to bridge the last cross with a scrap string to pull tension. My floating clamp came in handy. Then I tied off the bottom cross at 10B. That took care of all the crosses.


For the last outstanding main, I cut out another 3 ft of string and tied a knot to 6B, weaved the single main, pulled tension, clamped and then tied off on 7T. Technically, I converted this to a two-piece job. 15 mains plus 20 crosses by the first string, and 1 single outer main using the other string. Unorthodox enough I guess?


Here's the completed pic.




Playtest:
- Just hitting against my palm, the stringbed felt very firm. It's unlike the other two rackets I did at 30 lbs. (link1)(link2)
- This string plays very crisp. It's not stiff at all, but it's also definitely not loose. 

- The stringbed feels tight enough to be passed off as in the low 50s. But the pocketing is deeper than being strung in the 50s.
- The signature comfort of ELT is still there. Distinctly. I really like this plushy soft pocketing, and yet crisp feeling!
- Spin is almost on par with my other ELT 30 lbs. Maybe this slightly denser string density, or slightly thicker 16g denied the racket of some spin? Nevertheless, spin is still way more than being strung at normal tensions.
- Directional control poses no problem at all. It's aim where go where. The dense stringbed makes a big difference here.
- Even with this very light racket, I had no problems sending the ball deep. The stringbed generates good power.
- Receiving hard flat shots are often punishing, especially when taken off-centre, but ELT softened the blow and absorbed most of the shock. The best part is, when the stringbed pocketing bounces back, my opponents energy is returned to be used against them!!!
- After almost 2 hours of use, there is zero string movement. The stringbed looked exactly like how it was when I started. Weird!
- Thinking back, it does seem to appear that string movement is less for denser stringbeds and thicker gauge strings. 





Strings:
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Spiral Flex 1.30mm @ 30 lbs




No comments:

Post a Comment