Monday 21 January 2013

RW5800 + Poly / Syn Gut @ 48 / 40-43-40

My last experiment proved that the different tension in cross strings would not normalise, even with almost 20 lbs difference. (link

In fact, my problem was the difference in tension held too well. I had anticipated some movement, so I strung the area with skipped crosses much tighter. But it stayed that way and hits near those areas felt harsh, naturally!

To reduce the variables, I did the mains at 48 lbs again. A full proportional stringing would mean the tightest cross strings be strung around the mid-30s. Psychologically, I cannot accept nor fathom how that would play. So I decided to take one step at a time. A small step...

The top and bottom 5 crosses are pulled at 40 lbs. The middle 8 crosses are pulled at 43 lbs. If there is any merit in proportional stringing, this setup would definitely show some. There is some chatter online about how Davydenko varied tensions in his cross strings. Google it if you are curious.



I marked the position of the cross strings like what I did previously. But with black cross strings, I cannot see the markings!!! I think I'll buy a silver-coloured felt tip marker next time!






Here's another pic where I re-marked the red line with a gold-coloured felt tip marker.





Playtest:
- Dead-on sweetspot hits were controllable, nice and soft
- Slightly off sweetspot hits still felt harsh
- Spin is very good and enhanced directional control
- The black fusion strings really "grabbed" the ball very well and a lot of ball fur was stuck on the strings after only a few minutes of topspin shots
- Since this frame is only about 90-92 sq in, the harsh feeling could be due to the very small sweetspot
- I did not like this setup. In fact, I have not liked any strings combo in this racket so far. So I think it could be due to the racket instead...
- The gold-coloured line on the cross strings remained intact after playing so there should not be any evening out of the varied cross tensions



Strings:
Pro Supex Black Fusion 1.19mm mains @ 48 lbs
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25mm cross @ 40-43-40 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment