Wednesday 26 December 2012

RW5800 + Poly / Syn Gut @ 48/46 (then 16by9 @ 48/65)

The best way I know how to soften a full poly job is to cut out the cross string and use a softer synthetic gut. The previous full poly was too harsh and uncomfortable. (link)

I mounted the racket on my stringing machine before I cut out the poly crosses.



More spin is good. So here I am, skipping some cross strings near the top and bottom of the frame to allow the mains to move more freely. Hopefully, the synthetic gut will hold tension and provide better stability than when I skipped strings using poly. (link1)(link2) (Surprisingly, Big Ace is so soft that I find it unstable to be used when skipping strings.)



The conversion completed. To simulate the effects of proportional stringing (link), I varied tension of the cross strings slightly at different points although it is one piece of cross string I used. I believe this stringing pattern is still legal according to the ITF rules.



Playtest:
- no chance.... cross strings snapped before any playing!



So, here's the re-restring. I decided to do an open stringing of 16 by 9. It's something I've wanted to try with synthetic gut. And given today's tight schedule, I thought I might save some time installing only 9 cross strings.



Playtest:
- skipping strings with a synthetic gut cross is more stable  than with poly cross
- spin is absolutely insane with topspin shots curling down hard and kicking fast and high
- power level is very good
- volleys and serves feel too soft on the stringbed
- would have preferred the earlier setup which snapped before testing
- there is some adjustment to get used to the different rebound angle off the string after contact
- i like this setup for spin but control needs to be improved




Strings:
Pro Supex Black Fusion 1.19mm mains @ 48 lbs (from JET method)
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Spiral Flex 1.30mm cross @ 65 lbs




No comments:

Post a Comment