Thursday 20 December 2012

Robertson Wilson rw5800 + Full Poly using JET Method

Found another old racket and decided to string it up using the full JET Method. (link)

I recall this is a very flexible racket but I don't know the exact RA stiffness rating. Could be in the 40s I believe. Yes, it's that flexible. So much so that I struggle to bounce a stationary ball off the ground. 

With so much flex, I decided to string full poly to see what the JET method can do to the stringbed.



Starting the center mains at reference tension of 48 lbs...


Had to skip mains #7 and do #8 first. With flying clamps, I had to use a starting pin to clamp down the #8 string after pulling tension.



Mains completed.



Weaving the crosses now. (I still don't enjoy weaving full poly...) It does take longer to string a racket using the JET method. Maybe it is due to a lack of familiarity or the need to keep adjusting tension. But I do not know of any commercial stringer willing to do this in Singapore yet.



Completed racket weight with overgrip.




And the final weight touchup using lead tape.



Playtest:
- sweetspot contact felt incredibly soft and yet had harsh vibrations
- directional control is good
- power level is extremely low
- spin generation seems average
- both my playing partner and I dislike the impact vibrations and I stopped using it after ten minutes
- will probably re-do only the cross strings and convert it into something else



Strings:
Pro Supex Black Fusion 1.19mm @ Reference Tension of 48 lbs




No comments:

Post a Comment