Monday 19 November 2012

Dunlop AG500 Tour + Full Poly @ 50/55 lbs (16x12)


After about 6-8 hours, there is deep notching on the old multifilament main strings (link). The multi's tension has dropped significantly and I can feel it is mainly the poly strings holding up the shots. Time to cut and try something new.


I am still impressed by the kevlar/poly hybrid with open stringing (link), so I thought I'd modify it slightly and test it out with the Dunlop 500 Tour. (Click the link to recall some of the issues I faced in the playtest.)


Primarily, the objectives are to (from most important to less important):


- maintain softness / comfort to keep tennis elbow and injuries away
- maintain high levels of spin
- reduce power
- tighten the feel of the stringbed for better control and volley
- maintain durability so either kevlar/poly combo or full poly
- ensure stringing pattern is still legal according to the rules

Since kevlar plays much much stiffer than poly. So logically, I should up the tension slightly if I want to maintain a similar feel.


Measurements are done first again. I am very curious and a little concerned about possible frame distortion. Some here's what I measured with the old multi/poly installed as a comparison.











Then I started stringing full poly with a 2 piece job. Perhaps you can make a guess what I was thinking?


And here's the completed racket. The length of the frame has shortened by about 3mm whereas the width of the frame remains the same as the multi/poly combo. Not surprising since I skipped 6 cross strings. But nothing alarming too.


When I skipped alternate cross strings with the kevlar/poly hybrid earlier, although it was not mushy but I still preferred the stringbed to feel slightly tighter. Yet, comfort and elbow safety must be preserved. That's how I arrived at this.

By the way, I think this pattern may still be legal..... 

Extract from Rules of Tennis 2012:
"The hitting surface, defined as the main area of the stringing pattern bordered by the points of entry of the strings into the frame or points of contact of the strings with the frame, whichever is the smaller, shall be flat and consist of a pattern of crossed strings connected to a frame and alternately interlaced or bonded where they cross. The stringing pattern must be generally uniform and, in particular, not less dense in the centre than in any other area."

"Generally uniform?" I'm not sure on that. But "not less dense in the centre", I think that is fully complied with.

Playtest:
- very soft despite full bed of poly strings
- the centre full stringing helped to stabilise the sweetspot slightly
- the extra spin I was hoping for was not fulfilled
- could not feel very well for serve and volley
- i would rate this playable but not very enjoyable


Strings:
Pro Supex Big Ace Revo (Poly) 1.25mm @ 50/55 lbs strung 2 piece






No comments:

Post a Comment